Are you lucky?

Follow hanmireddy on Twitter

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Subroto Bagchi on the essence of success


Subroto Bagchi
Subroto Bagchi is best known for co-founding MindTree in 1999 where he started as the chief operating officer. Bagchi, now the vice chairman and gardener of MindTree, has written extensively in leading newspapers and magazines, and spoken at industry platforms and educational institutions the world over.

His first book, The High Performance Entrepreneur, was released in 2006, and his second book, Go Kiss the World, was released in 2008. Mark Tully hailed it as 'a remarkable story of courage, integrity and enterprise'. His third book, The Professional, was released in September 2009.

Following is the speech he delivered to the Class of 2006 at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore on defining success. Bagchi said it was the first time he had shared the guiding principles of his life with young professionals. Read on . . .

I was the last child of a small-time government servant, in a family of five brothers. My earliest memory of my father is as that of a District Employment Officer in Koraput, Orissa.

It was, and remains, as back of beyond as you can imagine. There was no electricity; no primary school nearby and water did not flow out of a tap. As a result, I did not go to school until the age of eight; I was home-schooled.

My father used to get transferred every year. The family belongings fit into the back of a jeep -- so the family moved from place to place without any trouble, and my mother would set up an establishment and get us going. Raised by a widow who had come as a refugee from the then East Bengal (now Bangladesh), she was a matriculate when she married my father.

My parents set the foundation of my life and the value system, which makes me what I am today and largely, defines what success means to me today.

As District Employment Officer, my father was given a jeep by the government. There was no garage in the office, so the jeep was parked in our house. My father refused to use it to commute to the office. He told us that the jeep is an expensive resource given by the government -- he reiterated to us that it was not 'his jeep' but the government's.

Insisting that he would use it only to tour the interiors, he would walk to his office on normal days. He also made sure that we never sat in the government jeep -- we could sit in it only when it was stationary.
For full article read rediff.com

No comments: